November 23, 2011
How SEO Friendly is My Website?
Are you wanting to drive customers to your website and know SEO is a great way of doing so but aren’t sure whether your site is ready? Or perhaps you’re already partaking in SEO but want to know a few handy tips on making your site more attractive to the search engines? Well, whether you’re a business owner or a webmaster, you can improve your site and increase its potential to rank better within the search engine result pages (SERPs) by simply implementing and modifying a number of factors in various areas of your website.
Key SEO Factors
To keep things simple, we have included a handful of factors which we think are both important and can be easily analysed to determine how SEO friendly your site is. These include; the page title, how unique and relevant your content is and what server-side practices have been performed such as URL rewriting. We’ve also ordered these factors by importance and have included the area it specifically resides in.
Website Area Examples
- Page Title: Document Head
- H1 Tag (Heading): Document Body
- URL Rewriting: Server-Side
- Robots.txt file: Miscellaneous
Key Factors – Most Important
- Do I have unique Page Titles on all my pages which incorporate the keywords I want to target? – Document Head
- Do I have unique content on all my pages that is relevant to both the page name and my website? And are the keywords I want to target for each page incorporated naturally within the content? – Document Body
- Can search engines crawl and index my website? – Miscellaneous
- Do I have a blog or news section which is updated regularly with unique and relevant content? – Miscellaneous
Key Factors – Important
- Do I have more than one Page Title element per page? – Document Head
- Does my website employ URL rewriting? – Server Specific
- Are the keywords I’m targeting stuffed in any kind of manner for any of my pages? – Document Body & Document Head
- Do all my pages have H1 tags? And is each H1 tag relevant to each page? – Document Body
- Is my website located in the country I am targeting? – Server Specific
Key Factors – Somewhat Important
- Do I have META Description tags on all my pages? And are they unique for each page? – Document Head
- Do I have more than one H1 tag per page? – Document Body
- Are the following tags and elements using the appropriate amount of characters? – Document Head
- Page Title
- META Description
- Does my website avoid linking excessively both internally and externally? – Document Body
- Does my website have an XML sitemap? – Miscellaneous
- Is my website optimised for best performance? – Server Specific
If you’re finding that 50% of the above factors haven’t been optimised or at least implemented (specifically Most Important & Important factors), then your site isn’t as SEO friendly as it could be. We therefore recommend speaking with a qualified SEO company to audit your site and provide professional recommendations to increase your sites SEO friendliness.