So here it is, the long awaited part 2 of my guide to successful International eCommerce AdWords Campaigns.
Now that you’ve got that sorted, let’s look at how to drive quality traffic to your site.
Although there are number of ways to direct international traffic to your website (international search engine optimisation, offline marketing and international public relations to name a few), Google AdWords remains one of the most effective and efficient mediums with regards to testing the validity of new markets.
AdWords allows businesses to very quickly dip their toes into the waters of just about every market in the world at very little cost. Furthermore, businesses can just as quickly pull out of these markets if said waters start to get a little rough.
The next four steps in this guide will therefore concentrate on how to successfully set up an international Google AdWords campaign for the purpose of generating international traffic.
Eeni Meeni Minee Moe
- Choose your markets based on website and market trends. Have you noticed sales coming through any countries in particular in Google Analytics?
- Test only 1-2 markets at a time.
- Take cultural considerations into mind. For example, if you are exporting wine, how does your new market perceive alcohol?
- Take exporting issues into consideration. How will your product be taxed?
I’ll have what they’re having
- Use the Google Ad Preview tool to test if and how your competitors are advertising in your chosen market/s.
- How will you create a magnetic advertising message that will break through the clutter in this new market?
- What lessons can you learn from your competitors in this market place?
Tis’ the season?
- Do you have a seasonal product? If so, figure out what season your market is in.
- Remember that your time scheduling will also need to be altered in an international market if your ads aren’t set to run at all times.
Watch Your Language!
- Consider whether you should be advertising in multiple languages. Be careful however as multiple languages can sometimes bring in double the traffic on broad terms. If this is the case, you may have trouble deciphering which negatives to add to your campaigns!
Even though AdWords will work very effectively to kick start your international traffic, it’s important to make sure you’ve got the whole OIMP sorted!